Friday, August 22, 2008

Chasing a Christian Community

After dropping some of the family off at camp, I stalled my return to Toronto last Monday by visiting a small-town park in Magnetawan, Ontario. The water was flowing furiously in the distance, run-off from some serious rain - but where I was all was calm. Opening to another chapter in Mark Batterson's "Wild Goose Chase" I settled down on a dry stone by the water's edge.

Something to my left caught my eye - a wild goose. No kidding- a Canadian goose and I sharing the corner of a small park. He/she obviously didn't appreciate my presence on his turf nearly as much as I did it. After eying me for a few minutes, it flew off to the middle of the lake- where it knew I wouldn't be able to follow.

Still, was this a sign from God? The quest charted by this blog began with a revived interest Deborah and I have had since we were married all those years ago - to live in Christian missional Community, analogous to the L'Abris she lived in in France, and the one we honeymooned in at Gretham, UK.

August has been a little frustrating. Several people who have access to the sort of information who would be key for us to talk to about all this sort seem to be on the road. Meanwhile little is happening in developing actual community. In the meantime, our dull vision is beginning to come into focus- yet ever so slowly.

Was this Canadian goose a sign that God was leading us to a property up there? I decided to get a remembrance of the occasion by finding a discarded goose feather. There was enough down for a
small pillow but in four locations over two hours - nada but tiny things.

On the way driving back home, it occurred to me that Canadian geese reside all summer in Toronto. Why don't I look there? After dinner, I set out with Zephyr the wonder dog - the miniature schnauzer who has now walked twice around Toronto with me. We drove right to where we had previously seen geese and - sure enough - within twenty minutes I had gathered a copious quantity of large goose quills.

A sign from God? Maybe. But it also says to me that we already know Toronto well. Our heart has ached for the people of this city for decades. We know some of the needs here and what is being done - or not being done - to meet them.

So I suspect this mystical mysterious missional Christian Community we envision - if it exists at all in the mind of God - will likely have a Toronto address.

No comments: